Text: 1 Corinthians 4:14-21
Introduction: Parents are their children’s teachers, guides, and life-long sojourners.
Context: Discipleship is about caring for and guiding the flock of sheep. Paul was instructing the church of Corinth about their Christian living. It was through his disciple, Timothy, that the Corinthian church learned more about the Gospel of Christ. There are three elements of discipleship: the discipler, the disciple, and the didactic.
- The Discipler (Apostle Paul) – verse 15-16
Paul, as a spiritual parent (father), is different from the common “guardian” or tutor during ancient times. “Guardians” are the ones who were either educated servants or a freedman guiding the children of their masters, or showing them how to go to school, the marketplace, etc.
Paul was a caring parent to the church at Corinth. Someone who provides, secures, guides, disciplines if necessary, and teaches them the Word of God.
Both faithfulness in Jesus Christ and loves the church are requirements for a disciple. If you love Jesus, you love whom He loves–the church.
- The Disciple (Timothy) – verse 17
A Biblical Definition of a Disciple
“A disciple is one who follows Christ, trusting in him alone for salvation, worshiping his person, loving him with whole heart, imitating his life, and obeying his teaching, living dependently by abiding in Christ, walking in the Holy Spirit, meditating on the word of God, engaging in communion (prayer), and partnering with the body of Christ (local church) resulting in the transformation of the mind, the heart, and the life and leads others to do the same.” by Dr. David Talley
- The Didactic (the Lesson/ the Gospel of Christ/ Word of God) – verse 17b
UCBC Disciples Path – from Lifeway
- The Beginning: First Steps for New Disciples
- The Way: Discovering Christ’s Path of Discipleship
- The Call: Counting the Cost of Following Christ
- The Truth: Engaging the Foundations of the Faith
- The Life: Living the Spiritual Disciplines
- The Mission: Joining God in His Work
Pastor John Paul Arceno
UCBC New Jersey | August 13, 2023