Text: 1 Peter 1:14
1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
Background: How do they cleanse themselves before?
- Animal offering
Transition: But all these are fulfilled and gifted to us by faith in Christ. Those who have faith enjoy this blessing of holiness. (Rom 4:5)
- Faith alone justifies, but faith alone does not sanctify… James 2:17
- Holiness is more than just a duty. I remember one of my favorite movies, A Walk to Remember; the guy was happily fulfilling the woman’s bucket list of dreams. The guy wasn’t complaining but was excited and exerting much effort.
- It is difficult. Especially for younger ones. Porn, addiction, discarnational digital self, separating biblical view of human love, community, success and life to secularism.
- The problem of indwelling sin. (Rom 7:20)
- But we must continue doing the “habits of holiness.” Not just once, but a never-ending cycle of doing and doing and doing and doing. Pray, read, and commune. Holiness is a progressive work.
- “To communion with God in prayer, in the Bible, and in the assembly of his people — these things will be the holy man’s chiefest enjoyments.”~ JC Ryle
Your identity is more than what you do
– image of God (one mind with God)
– The habit of agreeing with God’s judgement, not your own, hating what he hated, loving what he loves
– A person who most entirely agrees with God is the most holy person – JC Ryle
– Abiding in his walk
You are what you love
– Christian worship doesn’t just teach us how to think; it teaches us how to love, and it does so by inviting us into the biblical story and implanting that story in our bones” (p. 85). ~ James KA Smith
You become who you worship
– If you dislike singing, worshipping, listening, reading the Word, and praying. Then what makes you like to go to heaven? Heaven is a never-ending time of worship.
Why do we need to cultivate habits of holiness?
- It is the only sincere proof that we love Jesus
- It is the sound evidence that we are saved
- It is a strong command of Christ
Are you holy? Will you continue to be holy? Hebrews 12:14 “Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” Holiness comes from Christ alone.
Rev. John Paul Arceno
UCBC New Jersey
March 26, 2023