Text: Romans 8:1-17
Introduction: The Great Shift? Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Paul, the Apostles, Augustine, Luther, Pacman, you and me, and so on. There ought to be a transformation in someone’s life when they encounter God’s glorious grace. How come others do not? They live a life of fake, class A, Christianity
Transition: Condemned cars/ abandoned cars, after 48 hours/ three days/ 60 days, will be given a Junk title and is now for auction or thrown to the junkshop to be crashed.
- Condemned means “officially declared unfit for use.”
Promise (vv 1-4)
- But the promise of God in Christ is that there is no more condemnation for those who are in Christ. (v1)
Problem (vv 5-8)
- Verse 6, “To set the mind on the flesh means to think continually about and constantly desire the things characteristic of fallen, sinful human nature, that is, to think just the way the unbelieving world thinks, emphasizing what it thinks important, pursuing what it pursues, in disregard of God’s will.”
- Verse 7, “does not submit to God’s law”
- The Spirit of God lives in you (v9). The Spirit gives life (v10).
- Verse 13, “you put to death” is an active role in mortifying and battling sinful habits.
- Verse 14, children of God – access to the Father
- Verse 17, “suffering with Christ,” is a witness and a sign that you are a child of God.
Conclusion: “Now!” – verse 1 – Pursuing the Dream to Share this Life-giving Grace
Ptr. John Paul Arceno
UCBC New Jersey
July 23, 2023
Photo by Zafar Mishkat : https://www.pexels.com/photo/people-street-industry-dust-10403314/